The DFB applies the brakes. Because the political approval is missing, the Third League cannot start on May 26th. Now a season threatens until July – and this creates completely new problems.
The German Football Association (DFB) has to cancel the planned restart of the third division and may now be faced with a new discussion about the continuation of the season. The DFB announced on Friday that the planned resumption on May 26 was not tenable because “there was still no political and overarching official approval” for the game and the teams would therefore lack adequate preparation time.
The association did not set a new start date, but said that the league could continue shortly after May 26 if the political decision was taken.
It was only on Thursday that the heated debate about voluntarily ending the season calmed down somewhat. FC Carl Zeiss Jena had presented a concept for shaping the future of the league, DFB Vice President Rainer Koch received this positively. The DFB wants to continue playing the season to the end. The plan to hold the remaining eleven match days in English weeks only by the end of June is now hardly feasible.
Despite the change in the statutes: new legal trouble looms
The DFB had already adjusted its statutes so that the season could also go beyond June 30th. However, various legal issues could arise, as many contracts end on June 30th. For example, FSV Zwickau has only borrowed its top player Elias Huth from 1. FC Kaiserslautern. Both teams are in a relegation battle, and Huth should theoretically be back in Kaiserslautern from July 1st.
The contracts of the clubs with the sponsors refer in most cases only to a season until June 30th. It is also unclear what is going on with players whose contracts expire on June 30 and do not actually want to be extended by either party. The clubs would have additional costs, they would have to provide professionals with monthly contracts.
Thuringia puts a stop to competitive sports until June 5
For a variety of reasons, only a fraction of the third division teams are currently in team training. In matters of Anhalt this will not be possible for 1. FC Magdeburg and Halleschen FC until May 25th. In Thuringia, the state government even put a stop to all competitive sports until June 5, which tied the hands of FC Carl Zeiss.
It was only on Thursday that DFB President Fritz Keller called Thuringia’s Minister of Sport Helmut Holter – to no avail. “Due to the current regulations, team training and team sports with great contact potential cannot take place here at the moment. We want to treat professional and popular sports equally,” said Holter. In addition to the FCC, women’s football Bundesliga club FF USV Jena is also affected. Holter emphasized that Thuringia was closely based on the guidelines of the German Olympic Sports Confederation and consistently implemented the decisions of the Sports Ministers’ Conference.