The ball federations are also at a crossroads when it comes to holding their quintessential tournaments for the season. GRABNI and Interpueblos are in the air. The different estates have looked for ways to try to save them, but they are waiting for the situation to normalize to see if they are able to take them out even if it is in a different format than usual.
The first of them brings together the teams from the three territories, La Rioja, Navarra and Iparralde in practically all the existing modalities, both on the left wall, in hand, wood and tip basket, and in ratchet. It had to have started a month ago, but the state of alarm decreed by the authorities meant that the first day could not be disputed. The competition is held by the all-against-all system that is no longer useful at the moment, because the finals were scheduled between May 1 and 3.
“Once we know an approximate date for when activity can resume, and if we are on time, we will talk to all the territorial federations to see how it is possible to dispute it,” said Basque President Gotzon Enbil. The formulas that the maximum level of the amateur ball shuffles to do so include the possibility of a reduced format that would require three weekends, and in which the classification of last year would be taken into account. “The champion and the runner-up would enter the semifinals, and before that, a previous day would be played between the other participants to meet their rivals,” he said. From La Vasca they want this competition not to overlap with the Interpueblos tournament that each territorial organizes because “many pelotaris would have to choose which one to participate in and the dispute would be distorted,” said Enbil.
The Interpueblos, which is first played at the provincial level, is still in deadlines because it usually takes place between May and June. The Biscayan Ball Federation is also considering different scenarios for its possible celebration as it is one of the most traditional events. «The Bizkaia Cup, which had to be played in all modalities from cadet to senior category, has already been suspended, like the Cuatro y Medio, another one of the most open tournaments because everyone who wanted had the option to participate by having different levels, “said its president, Karmelo Ariznabarreta.
The concern now is to try to save the next appointment, even if it suffers some delay. “In the event that the situation improves it would be necessary to see the number of towns that are interested in participating and this year, as an exception, the possibility that representatives would not be required to present in the three categories – cadet, youth and senior – would be analyzed, or another alternative would be sought, ”he added. In Gipuzkoa, the possibility of making direct knockouts instead of round trips is being considered.
The rest of private championships that saw their activity interrupted, such as the Biharko Izarrak, which takes place in Mallabia and sponsors EL CORREO, and that of Mungia they are still waiting to decide if it is possible to balance the schedule of the other matches they have left once the current situation changes.