We are in the Christmas period and the New Year is approaching. While it hasn’t been an easy year, we want to share with you a very popular recipe for every start of a new year.
It is a typical dish of peasant tradition, very tasty and ideal for the winter season.
We are obviously talking about the famous dish “lentils and sausage”, a must precisely for end of year dinner.
But what are the steps to prepare lentils and sausage?
How to make lentils and sausage
- As a first step, cook the lentils in a saucepan in water over medium heat for about 25 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a pan, sauté the carrot, onion, cherry tomatoes, celery and garlic
- Add the sausages and brown
- Add the previously boiled lentils, season with salt and pepper and finish cooking for another 15/20 minutes
- If the lentils get too dry, you can use the cooking water to dilute
- Serve hot with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- 200 g of red lentils
- 500 g of sausages
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- half onion
- half a carrot
- a stick of celery
- a clove of garlic
- a pinch of coarse salt
- 35 ml of extra virgin olive oil
Advice and conservation
Lentils and sausage can be served on two occasions:
- As a side dish (perhaps together with a mixed salad) if you prepare this dish in a normal meal
- As a final dish (if prepared precisely during the New Year’s Eve dinner)
Those who prefer could also add tomato puree as an ingredient, to give an extra touch of flavor and color to the recipe. Those who prefer could use the vegetable broth to cook the lentils.
As for conservation, lentils and sausage can be preserved in the refrigerator for two days inside a container (should it advance).
Would you like to know other tasty recipes? Discover them all here.